BDS-Pro Battery Monitoring System
Model # BDS-Pro
Eagle Eye’s BDS-Pro Battery Monitoring System is designed to measure the aging status of up to 24 jars (or 24 cells) by measuring and recording: string voltage and current, as well as jar/cell voltage, internal resistance, connection resistance and temperature. The BDS-Pro Battery Monitoring Solution is the most accurate, user-friendly and economic solution for monitoring 24 jars (or 24 cells) systems using 1.0-16V batteries. Although the BDS-Pro is utilized in many industries, it is most frequently used in 24 cell, 48Vdc applications.
Battery failure can happen overnight, and Eagle Eye’s IBwatch-Series real-time battery monitoring allows full protection and confidence against such failures. Ohmic resistance and voltage measurements (per jar) are taken as often as every five minutes. String current, DC voltage, and temperature are measured in real-time. These measured parameters will provide the user a real-time understanding of their batteries state-of-health.
The BDS-Pro 24/7 Battery Monitoring System comes complete with Eagle Eye’s Centroid Battery Management Software package which allows all battery systems to be monitored 24 hours a day, 365 days a year via a remote computer. Centroid provides real-time battery monitoring and string/cell trending with reporting capabilities. String trending reports provide system resistance, voltage, temperature, and voltage/ohms comparison. Cell trending reports provide battery/connection resistance, voltage, and temperature. Custom alarm settings can be configured per string.
The BDS-Pro Battery Monitoring System Includes:
- BDS-Pro MPU Body
- Clamps: O-Type for cable connection or C-Type for bus-bar connection
- Sensing cable (current line)
- Signal cable (voltage line)
- Temperature cable
- Total voltage current cable
- LAN cable (if necessary)
- Control power cable
- Centroid Battery Management Software
- User Manual
Reduce maintenance costs, improve up-time and manage your battery assets effectively by using the BDS-Pro battery monitoring solution for your system. Traditional battery testing and monitoring methods perform the most crucial test - ohmic value - periodically. Eagle Eye’s battery monitoring systems can monitor the ohmic value of all your jars (cells) multiple times each day, due to the fact our systems inject a minimal, non-intrusive current. Protect yourself from battery failures - one of the leading causes of facility downtime, with the BDS-Pro Battery Monitoring System.
If you are testing a larger system see Eagle Eye’s iPQMS Battery Monitoring System which can monitor up to 448 jars (or 448 cells), and offers the same protection and reliability as the BDS-Pro Battery Monitoring System.
- Technical Specs
|Measurement Range:||Battery Capacity: 5 – 6,000 Ah
System Voltage: 0 – 150 VDC
Load Current: ±999.9 A
Unit Voltage: 1.2, 2, 4, 6, 8, or 12 Volts
|Accuracy / Resolution:||System Voltage: ±0.5% / 0.1 V
Load Current: ±1% / 0.1 A
Unit Voltage: ±0.5% / 0.01 V
Internal Resistance: ±2% / 0.001 mΩ
Unit Temperature: ±2% / 0.1 °
|Test Speed / Test Load:||4 seconds per cell / less than 2 amps AC per cell|
|Measuring Interval:||Adjustable from 10 min to once daily (cell/unit readings)|
|Data Transfer:||TCP/IP to proprietary software, Modbus|
|Internal Storage:||Approximately 2 weeks backup|
|Operating Environment:||Temperature: 0 – 65 °C (32 – 150 °F)
RH: Under 80%
|Power Requirements:||Input: 36 – 150 VDC / 110 – 220 VAC|
|Dimensions:||195 x 270 x 55 mm (7.7 x 10.6 x 2.2 in.)|
What hardware / components come with the BDS-Pro?
A complete system will have the following components:
- Main Processing Unit (MPU) – Processes measurement data and houses communication connections to network.
- Sensing Cables – Cables which connect to the BMS clamps from the MPU for gathering measurement data.
- Clamps – Physical connection to the battery system, connects to the inter-cell connections.
- CT – Hall Effect CT clamp for measuring DC current.
Does the BDS-Pro calculate the capacity of the batteries?
No, the BDS-Pro does not perform a load test, so there is no way for the system to calculate the capacity. The system does detect and record all discharge events to show how each cell performed during the duration of the test.
What are the options for installation of the system(s)?
There are several options for installation:
- The customer can install the systems with free remote support from trained Eagle Eye technicians.
- The customer can select a training package for installation of the systems, either onsite training by Eagle Eye’s technicians or at Eagle Eye’s facility.
- The customer can select an installation package where Eagle Eye technicians perform the complete installation of the system(s).
Can the BDS-Pro monitor battery systems in parallel?
No, the BDS-Pro is designed for testing of a single system of up to 24 jars / cells.
How does Eagle Eye’s Centroid 2 software work?
The Centroid 2 software is composed of two parts, the server and the client. Centroid 2 Server is installed on a dedicated PC that must be connected to the same network as the BDS-Pro system(s). This software runs in the background on a Windows environment as a service. Centroid Viewer client must also be installed on a PC that is on the same network as the BDS-Pro. The client can be installed on multiple computers and can pull data directly from the PC with Centroid 2 Server running.
How does the BDS-Pro test jar/cell resistance?
The system injects 400mA to 2A (max.) AC current for a duration of 900ms per jar / cell. During the 900ms duration is (3) 300ms tests. The average of these (3) tests is used as the final test result.
Which parameters are measured in real-time?
String voltage and current are measured in real-time, values are continually updated on the BDS-Pro screen and in the software.
Which parameters are measured on interval and what is that interval?
Cell voltage, cell resistance, and cell temperature are measured on set intervals. These intervals can be set at any time from every 10 min. to once daily. In the event of a discharge these parameters will be measured continually until the discharge has ended.
How long does the system take to measure the resistance of the whole string?
The length of time varies depending on the number of jars. Regardless of the jar quantity, the system takes 3 seconds to measure the jar (actual load duration is 900ms per jar). The measurement cycle on a 60-cell system measuring per jar would take 180 seconds.
Does the BDS-Pro battery monitoring system have any dry contact relays?
No, the BDS-Pro does not have a native dry contact relay.
What are the communication options for the BDS-Pro?
There are two standard communication options for the BDS-Pro (only one communication method can be utilized per system).
- TCP/IP to Eagle Eye’s proprietary software Centroid 2 – This option provides the most information about the health of the battery system as the software was specifically designed to take full advantage of the BDS-Pro measurement data.
- Modbus protocol over TCP/IP – This option should be used if the measurement data will be integrated into an existing building management of SCADA system.
Are there any options for using Eagle Eye’s software in addition to Modbus protocol?
Yes, a single BDS-Pro can communicate via TCP/IP to a dedicated PC with Centroid 2 installed. Through the software, Modbus protocol can output from the PC. Each BDS-Pro system requires its own server PC for this solution and is offered as complete kit.
Is the BDS-Pro hardware rated as explosion proof?
The hardware is not officially rated as explosion proof, however it was designed to be mounted and exposed permanently in a battery room environment. If ex-proof is absolutely required then cabinet solutions are available to meet any specific requirements.
Can the BDS measure lithium battery types?
No, currently the system cannot measure any type of lithium battery.
What frequency does the BDS-Pro use during measurement?
- True 24/7/365 Battery Monitoring
- Installation and maintenance can be done while battery systems are online
- Meets IEEE and NERC standard recommendations for battery monitoring solutions
- Utilizes a patented ripple-removing algorithm for the most precise and repeated results in any environment
- Injects a minimal current, allowing the user to test their battery multiple times a day without adverse effects on your battery or battery monitoring system
- Simple to install with custom (to your batteries and site), pre-assembled installation materials
- Can monitor all your systems in real time with flexible expanding solutions
- Can be powered by AC or DC
- Includes battery management software for:
- Battery trending
- Creating battery reports
- Displays VDC and IDC in real time
- Displays Voltage, Resistance & Temperature Per Cell
- Sends an email to the person in charge if battery is at a warning or failure level
- Records discharge & recharge and can be played back to view system and battery level performance during discharge
Note: Modbus protocol can be provided if the user would like to transmit the test results to their management system.
- Power Utilities and Distribution
- CATV Broadcasting
- Transportation Operations
- Call Centers
- Oil, Gas & Fuel
- UPS Systems
- Financial Institutions
- Emergency Lighting
- Green Energy
- Call Centers
- Battery Suppliers and Manufacturers
Or call toll-free