BMS-icom Battery Monitoring System
Model # BMS-icom
Eagle Eye’s BMS-icom Battery Monitoring System is designed to measure the aging status of up to (4) 12V jars by measuring and recording: string voltage and current, as well as jar/cell voltage, internal resistance, connection resistance and temperature. The BMS-icom is the most accurate, user-friendly and economic solution for monitoring 48VDC systems using (4) 12V batteries.
The BMS-icom 48VDC battery monitoring system comes complete with Eagle Eye’s Centroid Battery Management Software package which allows all battery systems to be monitored 24 hours a day, 365 days a year via a remote computer. Centroid provides real-time monitoring and string/cell trending with reporting capabilities. String trending reports provide system resistance, voltage, temperature, and voltage/ohms comparison. Cell trending reports provide battery/connection resistance, voltage, and temperature. Custom alarm settings can be configured per string.
The BMS-icom Battery Monitoring System Includes:
- BMS-icom MPU Body
- Clamps: O-Type for cable connection or C-Type for bus-bar connection
- Sensing cable (current line)
- Signal cable (voltage line)
- Temperature cable
- Total voltage current cable
- Control power cable
- Centroid Battery Management Software
- User Manual
Reduce maintenance costs, improve up-time and manage your battery assets effectively by using the BMS-icom battery monitoring solution for your 48V system. Traditional battery testing and monitoring methods perform the most crucial test - ohmic value - periodically. Eagle Eye's battery monitoring systems can monitor the ohmic value of all your jars (cells) multiple times each day, due to the fact our systems inject a minimal, non-intrusive current. Protect yourself from battery failures - one of the leading causes of facility downtime, with the BMS-icom Battery Monitoring System. Real-time battery monitoring systems protect the user from costly downtime, data loss, and security risks. Real-time monitoring of critical battery systems also reduces maintenance and replacement costs by maximizing your battery life.
If you are testing a system different than a 48VDC using 12V batteries see Eagle Eye's iPQMS Battery Monitoring System that can monitor up to 448 jars (or 448 cells). Eagle Eye’s BDS-Pro measures 24 jars (or 24 cells).
|Measurement Range:||Battery Capacity: 5 – 6,000 Ah|
System Voltage: 0 – 55 VDC
Load Current: ±999.9 A
Unit Voltage: 12 V
|Accuracy:||System Voltage: ±0.5% / 0.1 V|
Load Current: ±1% / 0.1 A
Unit Voltage: ±0.5% / 0.01 V
Internal Resistance: ±2% / 0.001 mΩ
Unit Temperature: ±2% / 0.1 °
|Test Speed / Test Load:||4 seconds per cell / less than 2 amps AC per cell|
|Measuring Interval:||Adjustable from 10 min to 24 hours (voltage & resistance)|
|Operating Environment:||Temperature: 0 – 65 °C (32 – 150 °F)|
Relative Humidity: Under 80%
|Power Requirements:||Input: 38 - 58 VDC (from connected batteries)|
|Dimensions / Weight:||140 x 121 x 44.5 mm (5.5 x 4.8 x 1.8 in)|
What are some common applications areas for this product?
Common applications include but are not limited to:
- Power Utilities and Distribution
- Transportation Operations
- CATV Broadcasting
- Green Energy
- UPS Systems
- Financial Institutions
- Emergency Lighting
- Call Centers
- Battery Suppliers and Manufacturers
- Oil, Gas & Fuel
What hardware / components come with the BMS-icom battery monitoring system?
A complete system will have the following components:
- Main Processing Unit (MPU) – Processes measurement data and houses communication connections to network.
- Sensing Cables – Cables which connect to the BMS clamps from the MPU for gathering measurement data.
- Clamps – Physical connection to the battery system, connects to the inter-cell connections.
- CT – Hall Effect CT clamp for measuring DC current.
Does the BMS-icom calculate the capacity of the batteries?
No, the BMS-icom does not perform a load test, so there is no way for the system to calculate the capacity. The system does detect and record all discharge events to show how each cell performed during the duration of the test.
What are the options for installation of the system(s)?
There are several options for installation:
- The customer can install the systems with free remote support from trained Eagle Eye technicians.
- The customer can select a training package for installation of the systems, either onsite training by Eagle Eye’s technicians or at Eagle Eye’s facility.
- The customer can select an installation package where Eagle Eye technicians perform the complete installation of the system(s).
Can the BMS-icom monitor battery systems in parallel?
No, the BMS-icom is designed for testing of a single system of (4) 12V units.
How does Eagle Eye’s Centroid 2 BMS software work?
The Centroid 2 software is composed of two parts, the server and the client. Centroid 2 Server is installed on a dedicated PC that must be connected to the same network as the BMS-icom system(s). This software runs in the background on a Windows environment as a service. Centroid Viewer client must also be installed on a PC that is on the same network as the BMS-icom. The client can be installed on multiple computers and can pull data directly from the PC with Centroid 2 Server running.
How does the BMS-icom test jar/cell resistance?
The system injects 400mA to 2A (max.) AC current for a duration of 900ms per jar / cell. During the 900ms duration is (3) 300ms tests. The average of these (3) tests is used as the final test result.
Which parameters are measured in real-time?
String voltage and current are measured in real-time, values are continually updated in the software.
Which parameters are measured on interval and what is that interval?
Cell voltage, cell resistance, and cell temperature are measured on set intervals. These intervals can be set at any time from every 10 min. to once daily. In the event of a discharge these parameters will be measured continually until the discharge has ended.
How long does the system take to measure the resistance of the whole string?
The length of time varies depending on the number of jars. Regardless of the jar quantity, the system takes 3 seconds to measure the jar (actual load duration is 900ms per jar). The measurement cycle on a 60-cell system measuring per jar would take 180 seconds.
Does the BMS-icom have any dry contact relays?
No, the BMS-icom battery monitoring system does not have a native dry contact relay.
What are the communication options for the BMS-icom?
TCP/IP to Eagle Eye’s proprietary software Centroid 2 – This provides the most information about the health of the battery system as the software was specifically designed to take full advantage of the BMS-icom measurement data.
Is the BMS-icom hardware rated as explosion proof?
The hardware is not officially rated as explosion proof, however it was designed to be mounted and exposed permanently in a battery room environment. If ex-proof is absolutely required then enclosure solutions are available to meet any specific requirements.
Can the BMS-icom measure lithium battery types?
No, currently the BMS system cannot measure any type of lithium battery.
What frequency does the BMS-icom 12V battery monitoring system use during measurement?
- True 24/7/365 Battery Monitoring
- Installation and maintenance can be done while battery systems are online
- Meets IEEE and NERC standard recommendations for battery monitoring solutions
- Utilizes a patented ripple-removing algorithm for the most precise and repeated results in any environment
- Injects a minimal current, allowing the user to test their battery multiple times a day without adverse effects on your battery or battery monitoring system
- Simple to install with pre-assembled installation materials
- Includes battery management software for:
- Battery trending
- Creating battery reports
- Displays VDC and IDC in real time
- Displays Voltage, Resistance & Temperature Per Cell
- Sends an email to the person in charge if battery is at a warning or failure level
- Records discharge & recharge and can be played back to view system and battery level performance during discharge
Or call toll-free