iPQMS-Pro UPS Battery Monitoring System
Model # iPQMS-Pro
Eagle Eye's iPQMS-Pro UPS Battery Monitoring System is a scalable system designed to monitor the health of critical battery systems by measuring: string voltage and current, jar/cell voltage and impedance, connection resistance, and temperature.
A non-intrusive system, the iPQMS-Pro measures critical battery parameters via clamps connected to the inter-cell connections of the battery system. A single system includes an MPU (Main Processing Unit) and all required cables and clamps for installation. One MPU can connect to (48) cells, however up to ten MPU's can be configured in daisy-chain for monitoring of up to (480) cells. Measured data is communicated via TCP/IP or RS232 back to the included Centroid Snet Battery Management Software.
The iPQMS-Pro records, trends, and report data against user-defined tolerances. In the event that a measured parameter is out of tolerance, an outbreak alarm will occur in the software and email/SMS alerts will be generated. The iPQMS-Pro is an ideal solution for monitoring and predicting the health and performance of UPS Cabinets, Telecom Systems, and other backup power systems.
Battery failure can happen overnight, and Eagle Eye’s BMS-Series real-time battery monitoring allows full protection and confidence against such failures. Ohmic resistance and voltage measurements (per jar) are taken as often as every five minutes. String current, DC voltage, and temperature are measured in real-time. These measured parameters will provide the user a real-time understanding of their batteries state-of-health. Battery failure can happen anytime and monitoring is necessary for every mission-critical facility, including financial institutions, hospitals, schools & universities, and other public and consumer facilities. Immediate warnings of battery deterioration and failure will prolong the life of your UPS batteries and reduce the need for costly battery maintenance and replacement.
The iPQMS-Pro Battery Monitoring System Includes:
- iPQMS-Pro MPU Body
- Clamps: O-Type for cable connection or C-Type for bus-bar connection
- Sensing cable (current line)
- Signal cable (voltage line)
- Temperature probes
- CT Clamp
- Control power cable
- Centroid Battery Management Software
- BMS Analyzer Utility Software
- User Manual
Before installation of the iPQMS-Pro, Eagle Eye will send you an BMS-Series Site Survey Form. This site survey form allows us to customize your iPQMS-Pro battery monitoring system based on your batteries, network, and battery site.
The iPQMS-Pro UPS battery monitoring system comes complete with Eagle Eye's Centroid Battery Management Software package which allows all battery systems to be monitored 24 hours a day, 365 days a year via a remote computer. Centroid provides real-time battery monitoring and string/cell trending with reporting capabilities. String trending reports provide system resistance, voltage, temperature, and voltage/ohms comparison. Cell trending reports provide battery/connection resistance, voltage, and temperature. Custom alarm settings can be configured per string.
Reduce maintenance costs, improve up-time and manage battery assets effectively by using the iPQMS-Pro battery monitoring solution. Real-time battery monitoring systems protects the user from costly downtime, data loss, and security risks. Real-time battery monitoring also reduces maintenance and replacement costs by maximizing battery life.
If you are testing a larger system see Eagle Eye’s iPQMS Battery Monitoring System which can monitor up to 448 jars (or 448 cells), and offers the same protection and reliability as the iPQMS-Pro Battery Monitoring System.
- Technical Specs
|Measurement Range:||Battery Capacity: 10 – 6,000 Ah
Jar/Cell Voltage: 0.1 – 16 VDC
String DC Voltage: 0 – 900 VDC
DC Current: 0 – 3000 Amps
Internal Resistance: 0.001 – 99.999 mΩ
|Accuracy:||DC Voltage / Current: ±0.5% / ±1%
Internal Resistance: ±2%
Cell Voltage: ±1%
|Resolution:||DC Voltage / Current: 0.1 V / 0.1 Amps
Cell Voltage: 10 mV
Internal Resistance: 0.001 Ω
Temperature: 0.1 °C (0.1 °F)
|Test Speed / Test Load:||2 seconds per cell / Less than 2 Amps per cell|
|Measuring Interval:||Adjustable from 4 min. to once per day (voltage & resistance)|
|Data Transfer:||TCP/IP, RS-232|
|Operating Environment:||Temperature: 0 - 65 °C (32 - 150 °F)
Relative Humidity: Under 80%
|Power Requirements:||40 – 60 VDC / 100 - 240 VAC|
|Dimensions:||370 x 230 x 60 mm (14.6 x 9 x 2.4 in)|
What hardware / components come with the iPQMS Pro?
A complete system will have the following components:
- Communication Control Unit (CCU) – Processes measurement data and houses communication connections to network.
- Module(s) – Mount on the battery system in a daisy chain connection. Each module connects to 2-4 cells depending on the voltage.
- Sensing Cables – Cables which connect to the BMS clamps from the MPU for gathering measurement data.
- Clamps – Physical connection to the battery system, connects to the inter-cell connections.
- CT – Hall Effect CT clamp for measuring DC current.
Does the iPQMS Pro calculate the capacity of the batteries?
No, the iPQMS Pro does not perform a load test, so there is no way for the system to calculate the capacity. The system does detect and record all discharge events to show how each cell performed during the duration of the test.
What are the options for installation of the system(s)?
There are several options for installation:
- The customer can install the systems with free remote support from trained Eagle Eye technicians.
- The customer can select a training package for installation of the systems, either onsite training by Eagle Eye’s technicians or at Eagle Eye’s facility.
- The customer can select an installation package where Eagle Eye technicians perform the complete installation of the system(s).
Can the iPQMS Pro monitor battery systems in parallel?
No, the iPQMS Pro is designed for critical battery system monitoring of a single system.
How does Eagle Eye’s Centroid 2 software work?
The Centroid 2 software is composed of two parts, the server and the client. Centroid 2 Server is installed on a dedicated PC that must be connected to the same network as the iPQMS Pro system(s). This software runs in the background on a Windows environment as a service. Centroid Viewer client must also be installed on a PC that is on the same network as the iPQMS Pro. The client can be installed on multiple computers and can pull data directly from the PC with Centroid 2 Server running.
How does the iPQMS Pro test jar/cell resistance?
The system injects 400mA to 2A (max.) AC current for a duration of 900ms per jar / cell. During the 900ms duration is (3) 300ms tests. The average of these (3) tests is used as the final test result.
Which parameters are measured in real-time?
String voltage, current, and ambient temperature are measured in real-time, values are continually updated on the iPQMS Pro screen and in the software.
Which parameters are measured on interval and what is that interval?
Cell voltage, cell resistance, and cell temperature are measured on set intervals. These intervals can be set at any time from every 10 min. to once daily. In the event of a discharge these parameters will be measured continually until the discharge has ended.
How long does the system take to measure the resistance of the whole string?
About 30 seconds.
Does the iPQMS Pro have any dry contact relays?
Yes, by default the iPQMS Pro has dry contact relays for the following parameters: string voltage, string current, cell resistance, cell voltage, and temperature. Additionally, up to (8) external devices can be wired into the iPQMS Pro dry contact inputs.
What are the communication options for the iPQMS Pro?
There are two standard communication options for the iPQMS Pro (only one communication method can be utilized per system).
- TCP/IP to Eagle Eye’s proprietary software Centroid 2 – This option provides the most information about the health of the battery system as the software was specifically designed to take full advantage of the iPQMS Pro measurement data.
- Modbus protocol over TCP/IP – This option should be used if the measurement data will be integrated into an existing building management or SCADA system. (External PC required per system)
Are there any options for using Eagle Eye’s software in addition to Modbus protocol?
Yes, a single iPQMS Pro can communicate via TCP/IP to a dedicated PC with Centroid 2 installed. Through the software, Modbus protocol can output from the PC. Each iPQMS Pro system requires its own server PC for this solution and is offered as complete kit.
Is the iPQMS Pro hardware rated as explosion proof?
The hardware is not officially rated as explosion proof, however it was designed to be mounted and exposed permanently in a battery room environment. If ex-proof is absolutely required, then cabinet solutions are available to meet any specific requirements.
Can the iPQMS Pro measure lithium battery types?
No, currently the system cannot measure any type of lithium battery.
Do the iPQMS Pro modules need to be grounded?
No, the modules do not need to be grounded because they are powered by DC from the battery.
What frequency does the iPQMS Pro use during measurement?
- True 24/7/365 Battery Monitoring
- Installation and maintenance can be done while battery systems are online
- Meets IEEE and NERC standard recommendations for battery monitoring solutions
- Utilizes a patented ripple-removing algorithm for the most precise and repeated results in any environment
- Injects a minimal current, allowing the user to test their battery multiple times a day without adverse effects on your battery or battery monitoring system
- Simple to install with custom (to your batteries and site), pre-assembled installation materials
- Can monitor all your systems in real time with flexible expanding solutions
- Can be powered by AC or DC
- Includes battery management software for:
- Battery trending
- Creating battery reports
- Displays VDC and IDC in real time
- Displays Voltage, Resistance & Temperature Per Cell
- Sends an email to the person in charge if battery is at a warning or failure level
- Records discharge & recharge and can be played back to view system and battery level performance during discharge
Note: Modbus protocol can be provided if the user would like to transmit the test results to their management system.
- UPS Systems
- Power Utilities and Distribution
- Financial Institutions
- Oil, Gas & Fuel
- Transportation Operations
- CATV Broadcasting
- Emergency Lighting
- Green Energy
- Call Centers
- Battery Suppliers and Manufacturers
Or call toll-free