Battery Monitoring Solution for NERC PRC-005-2 Compliance
Model # EE-NERC-BMS
Eagle Eye's Battery Monitoring System is a complete battery monitoring system to meet NERC PRC-005-2 Compliance. Substation backup battery maintenance is one of the most critical aspects to ensuring power to consumers when there is an outage or a system failure. Without a proper battery testing solution and preventative maintenance, the Bulk Electric System (BES) is compromised - causing significant revenue loss and safety hazards. NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation) is a not-for-profit regulatory authority that ensures the reliability of the BES by enforcing reliability standards.
NERC PRC-005 is the standard for Protection Systems Maintenance and Testing. PRC-005 continues to be the most commonly violated NERC reliability standard in North America. PRC-005-2 requires utilities to document and implement programs for the maintenance of all protection systems affecting the reliability of the Bulk Electric System (BES). All VLA, VRLA and NiCad Batteries are required to be verified, inspected, monitored & calibrated to meet PRC-005-2 Compliance.
In December 2013, a FERC order approved PRC-005, defining minimum maintenance activities and maximum maintenance intervals for stationary batteries that went into effect February 24, 2014. PRC-005 also outlined exclusions to maintenance intervals for sites using real-time battery monitoring systems. By using real-time battery management solutions, NERC utilities can decrease the cost of compliance by automating many of the required tasks. The enforcement date was on April 1, 2015 - which is the the first date entities must be compliant with part of the standard. The implementation plan for PRC-005-2 includes specific compliance dates and time frames for each of the requirements. Download Eagle Eye's Solutions for NERC PRC-005-2 Compliance to learn more about required maintenance activities.
The Eagle Eye Battery Monitoring System is an all-in-one integrated solution for utilities to meet PRC-005-2 Compliance. The Battery Monitoring System will comply with NERC PRC-005-2-Table 1-4(f) for "Exclusions for Protection System Station DC Supply Monitoring Devices and Systems" with no maximum maintenance interval.
The all-in-one Battery Monitoring System includes:
- BQMS Modular Battery Monitoring System
- ELM-Series Battery Electrolyte Level Monitor
- GFM-100 Battery Ground Fault Monitor
BQMS Battery Monitoring System
The BQMS monitors String Voltage, Cell Voltage, & Cell Internal and Connection Resistance. The BQMS also monitors DC Current and Internal Ohmic Values for all battery types to comply with NERC PRC-0005-2 Table 1-4(f) requirements. The included software package, Centroid 2, allows for remote viewing and data management of all connected Eagle Eye battery monitoring systems.
ELM-Series Electrolyte Level Monitor
The ELM-Series continuously monitors battery electrolyte level and satisfies the PRC-005-2 Table 1-4(f) Requirement: "Any battery based station dc supply with electrolyte level monitoring and alarming in every cell."
GFM-100 Battery Ground Fault Monitor
The GFM-100 Ground Fault Monitor continuously monitors for battery ground faults which satisfies the PRC-005-2 Table 1-4(f) Requirement: "Any station dc supply with unintentional dc ground monitoring and alarming."
Eagle Eye's Battery Monitoring System eliminates required maintenance activities - ultimately saving time, money & other resources. Batteries are monitored in real-time eliminating costly consequences. Batteries are the weakest link in the power plant, and are critical to the reliability of the Bulk Electric System (BES). Proper maintenance will prolong the life of the battery system and ensure that the battery will meet expectations.
- Technical Specs
|Parameter Measurement Range:||
Battery Capacity: 5 - 6,000 Ah
System Voltage: 0 - 576 VDC
Cell Voltage: 2, 4, 12 Volts
Load Current:± 10,000 A
Temperature: 0 – 80°C (32 – 176°F)
|Accuracy / Resolution:||
System Voltage: ±0.5% / 0.1 V
Load Current: ±2% / 0.1 A
Unit Voltage: ±0.5% / 0.01 V
Internal Resistance: ±2% / 0.001 mΩ
Unit Temperature: ±2% / 0.01 °
Electrolyte Level: ±2 mm (± 0.08”) above or below line
Test Duration: 30 seconds per system
Test Load: Less than 2 amps per cell
|Communication & Alarming:||
|External Alarming:||Up to (13) Form C contacts|
Temperature: 0 – 55°C (32 – 131°F)
Humidity: 0 – 80% RH
|Power Requirements:||Input: 43 - 250 VDC / 110 - 220 VAC|
What is NERC?
NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation) is a not-for-profit regulatory authority that ensures the reliability of the Bulk Power System in North America by enforcing Reliability Standards.
What is NERC Standard PRC-005?
PRC-005 is the standard for Protection Systems Maintenance and Testing. PRC-005 continues to be the most commonly violated reliability standard in North America.
What is NERC Standard PRC-005-02?
NERC Standard PRC-005-2 requires utilities to document and implement programs for the maintenance of all protection systems affecting the reliability of the Bulk Electric System (BES). All VLA, VRLA and NiCad Batteries are required to be verified, inspected, monitored & calibrated to meet PRC-005-2 Compliance.
Does Eagle Eye offer monitoring and testing solutions for IEEE requirements?
Yes, visit our IEEE Solutions page to view our solutions.
What parameters does the EE-NERC-BMS measure?
Collectively the BQMS, ELM-Series, and GFM-100 measure the following parameters: string voltage, string current, cell/unit voltage, cell/unit resistance, cell/unit temperature, positive & negative ground fault, electrolyte level, and ambient temperature.
What components are included with the complete EE-NERC-BMS kit?
The complete kit includes all of the required installation materials for the BQMS, ELM-Series, and GFM-100. This includes all cabling between the monitors and the battery system. Installation materials are custom prepared per order based on a site survey.
How are the components of the EE-NERC-BMS mounted?
The full kit includes (3) separate monitors for each component which can be wall mounted independently. Alternatively, the monitors can be shipped pre-installed in an enclosure which can then be mounted as desired by the end user.
How do the components connect to each other for communications?
Both the ELM-Series Electrolyte Level Monitor and the GFM Ground Fault Monitor include (4) Form C contacts. These contacts are wired through the BQMS Battery Monitoring System. From there, the following Form C output contacts will be available: string voltage, string current, cell/unit voltage, cell/unit resistance, cell/unit temperature, 1-3+ low electrolyte level, 4+ electrolyte level, 1-3+ electrolyte temp., 4+ electrolyte temp., positive ground fault, negative ground fault.
BQMS Battery Monitoring System Features:
- True 24/7/365 Battery Monitoring
- Installation and maintenance can be done while battery systems are online
- Meets IEEE and NERC standard recommendations for battery monitoring solutions
- Utilizes a patented ripple-removing algorithm for the most precise and repeated results in any environment
- Injects a minimal current, allowing the user to test their battery multiple times a day without adverse effects on your battery or battery monitoring system
- Includes up to 8 Form C Contacts for external alarming
- Simple to install with custom (to your batteries and site), pre-assembled installation materials
- Can monitor all your systems in real time with flexible expanding solutions
- Can be powered by AC or DC
- Includes battery management software for:
- Battery trending
- Creating battery reports
- Displays VDC and IDC in real time
- Displays Voltage, Resistance & Temperature Per Cell
- Sends an email to the person in charge if battery is at a warning or failure level
- Records discharge & recharge and can be played back to view system and battery level performance during discharge
Note: Modbus protocol can be provided if the user would like to transmit the test results to their management system.
ELM-Series Electrolyte Level Monitor:
- Low cost monitor for electrolyte level & jar temperature monitoring
- Alarm contacts for external alarming
- LED lights on monitor and sensors for visual alarming on-site
- Easy to install, site survey not required for order
- Applicable to any flooded battery system regardless of voltage & amp-hour
- Utilized commonly available cabling between sensors for easy sourcing of additional materials
GFM-100 Ground Fault Monitor:
- Color touchscreen simple interface
- Ethernet connectivity to web interface, (4) Form C Contacts
- High reliability & durability
- Simple installation
- Includes mounting kit for DIN rail or wall mount
- Monitors Ground Faults in 24V, 48V, 125V, & 250V batteries
- Utilities: Power Generation
- Utilities: Transmission & Distribution
- Mission Critical Facilities
- Battery Service Groups
Or call toll-free
PRC-005-2 Compliance Solutions:
Real-Time Battery Monitoring System with Electrolyte Level Monitor & Ground Fault Monitor
Or call toll-free
To view a full list of our product videos, visit the video page.>