Benchtop Digital Refractometers
The benchtop digital refractometers from Eagle Eye measure a variety of parameters for liquid samples including refractive index, specific gravity, BRIX, concentration, alcohol content, freezing point, and other related values accurately and efficiently. The meters utilize all common communication protocols for easy data management and printing of results. Available in multiple configurations, we have a refractometer to fit your budget and performance needs.
- Technical Specs
|Measuring Ranges Refractive Index Scale (RI)|
|Range nD:||1.26 to 1.72||1.26 to 1.72|
|Resolution nD:||± 0.00001||± 0.000001|
|Accuracy nD1):||± 0.00001||± 0.000001|
|Measuring Ranges Brix Scale|
|Range:||0 to 100 %||0 to 100 %|
|Resolution:||0.01 %||0.001 %|
|Accuracy:||0.05 %||0.015 %|
|Measuring Range Temperature|
|Range:||4 to 85°C||4 to 85°C|
|Temperature Probe Accuracy1):||± 0.05°C||± 0.03°C|
|Temperature Probe Stability1)||± 0.002°C||± 0.002°C|
|Wetted Parts:||FFKM, PP GF 30, stainless steel|
|Minimum Sample Amount:||Approx. 0.2 mL|
|Measuring Time:||5 seconds per sample (after temp. equilibration)|
|Scales/Methods:||Sugar scales, syrup and honey scales, alcohol scales, urine scales, serum scales, more than 70 scales available|
|User Interface:||PC with Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7, touchscreen or softkeys (optional)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D):||300 mm x 145 mm x 330 mm (11.8 in x 5.7 in x 13 in)|
|Weight:||6.5 kg (14.3 lb)|
What is the principle of operation for how the benchtop refractometers function?
The automatic measurement of the refractive index is based on the determination of the critical angle of total reflection. A light source, usually a long-life LED, is focused onto a prism surface via a lens system. An interference filter guarantees the specified wavelength. The measured sample is in direct contact with the measuring prism. Depending on its refractive index, the incoming light below the critical angle of total reflection is partly transmitted into the sample, whereas for higher angles of incidence the light is totally reflected. This dependence of the reflected light intensity from the incident angle is measured with a high-resolution sensor array. From the signal taken by the sensor, the refractive index of the sample can be calculated.
What are the advantages of characterizing a sample using refractive index?
There is virtually no limit to the types of samples that can be analyzed using refractive index. It is possible to measure the refractive index of optically dense, strongly absorbing samples or samples containing air bubbles or solid particles. Furthermore, only a few microliters are required and the sample can be recovered. The determination of the refraction angle is independent of vibrations and other environmental disturbances.
Can the benchtop refractometers be used to measure the concentration of a sample?
Yes, a sample’s refractive index value can be automatically converted into concentration values for a large number of factory-programmed substances. You can also program special substances as required. Sample naming ensures perfect traceability of results.
Can I transfer data from the benchtop refractometer to a computer?
You can export your measured data in the format of your choice (csv, txt, html) to a USB flash drive to a PC. Also other kinds of data - like firmware updates, custom functions or instrument backups - can conveniently be transferred from or to an external device. Printouts can be accomplished via Ethernet or USB.
How do I calibrate the benchtop refractometers?
To calibrate the instrument, measure a certified standard liquid and compare the result to the reference value indicated in the calibration certificate of the standard. The physical properties (refractive index, viscosity) of the liquid density standards should be similar to those of the samples. The frequency of calibrations with certified liquid refractive index standards depends on your requirements and judgement. Recommendation: 1 to 2 calibrations per year.
- Conveniently intuitive touchscreen navigation
- Color LCD screen and membrane keys which are resistant to spills and can be operated even when wearing gloves
- A reminder for test measurements or adjustments can be set at user-defined intervals
- Automatic warning if the sample volume is not large enough for a valid measurement
- No sample preparation, readings within seconds
- A quick wipe cleans the prism after each measurement
- Full compliance with 21 CFR Part 11
- Compliant with international standards such as ASTM, ICUMSA, OIML, AOAC, DIN/ISO, FDA, ISI, JIS and pharmacopoeias
- History and current status of results via the result memory
- Adjustment and check history, check intervals and validity checks for each measurement
- Independent of sample properties you can measure:
- All samples - from liquids to pastes, polymers to solids
- Turbid, colored or opaque samples
- Liquids containing air bubbles or solid particles
- No influence from humidity, temperature or vibrations
- A wide range of scales are stored in the refractometers for converting refractive index into concentrations, etc.
Or call toll-free
4 and 5 Place Refractometers
Range: 1.26 up to 1.72
Or call toll-free